Hey! Did you know you can click on an image to see it full size? It's true! Give it a try!

Monday, January 9, 2012

The Apartment Search Continues

So I've had a very... interesting... time finding an apartment. I found one right next to the l'Arc du Triomphe, and while it was a little above my budget, it was doable. It had a great lofted double bed, a spacious desk, and a full sized European fridge (about the size of an average man). Everything but internet was included, making the rent a grand total of 680€ (after an internet contract). Again, a little expensive, but in a great place and not a bad price for that arrondissement.

I told the landlord I'd call him back by 15h00 with my decision, and I knew I had his phone number from the MICEFA office. So 15h00 rolls around, and I give him a phone call to tell him I'd take the place, but my phone isn't very good, and I couldn't understand what he was saying before I heard the phone hang up. I called a couple hours later and this time a woman answered. She didn't even let me finish introducing myself before I heard the line go dead. Awesome, I must have written down the wrong number, and I would have to wait until the office opened on Monday to get the right one.

After our tour of places from Parisian cinematic history, I headed to the office and preceded to call the landlord. «Sorry, I had the wrong number yesterday, Monsieur, but I would really like to rent the apartment.»

«Good, good. I'm busy right now, but call in another half hour.»

Sweet. The apartment was still available and all I had to do was call back and it would be mine. I was excited to have a contract by the end of the day and move over the weekend. Finally my intense search would be over.

I call back half an hour later. No one picks up. Rats. Alright, I wait another 5 minutes. This time, the phone goes right to voicemail. No reason to panic though, nothing he said seemed to indicate I was in jeopardy of not getting the apartment.

That is until the next girl walks in the office. "I just got an apartment, guys! It's really awesome, right off l'Arc du Triomphe, with a nice huge bed! Thank god this whole thing is over."

"Wait a minute," I said, "the Ave. Foch apartment? I just called the landlord and he totally made it seem like I had it. When did you talk to him?"

"Uh, I talked to him about 45 minutes ago. He said there were some people who visited the other day, but they never called back, so it was mine if I wanted it."

"Oh. I see. Well congratulations, it's a great place..." I was livid. I guess it was my fault for not having the right number, but still, I called him! And the worst part is, I looked at the list that MICEFA keeps of students who visit apartments (which is how they usually solve issues like this) and her name wasn't even on it, but the staff seemed to side with her! Ugh. Back to the search I go.

I looked at an apartment at 19h this evening, but there's another person viewing it tomorrow. She said that since my parents guaranteed my financial security here in France that she doesn't see why shouldn't give it to me, but even the chance that I won't get it scares me now. Hopefully it works out, since this one's a bit cheaper, and I like the neighborhood a little more (it's only 2 streets over from the Eiffel Tower!), but we'll see.

I can't leave on a frustrated note AND without a photo.

Chelsea on the boat tour, enjoying the view.
It's Chelsea, a girl from my exchange program. I had taken so many crappy pictures of her making faces at me the night before that I figured I should take a good one for her. More portraits to come in the next post, which will hopefully include news of me finding a place to live. Until then, I've got a city to see, and to photograph!

À demain!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment