Hey! Did you know you can click on an image to see it full size? It's true! Give it a try!

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Jay Brannan at Café de la Danse

Almost 4 years ago, back in high school, a good friend of mine shared Jay Brannan with me, and I've been hooked ever since. He's an acoustic guitarist, big in the LGBT community for his frank, truthful, and beautiful songs. His music has a great attitude of being created for himself. Almost as if he said, "If other people like it, great, everyone else be damned." (That may actually be a song of his...) His music is perfect for a recently-out, angst-y high schooler, which is how I found it, but as I grew up, it seemed that his songs did, too. Suddenly, the albums I was listening to in high school had a whole new meaning and nuance in college. That's why I keep turning on songs by him that I've owned for four years: they're always fresh and new, no matter when I play them.

Jay laughing at a joke from the audience.
He's played Ohio a few times, but always in Columbus, and always during the school year, so I never got to see him live. So when he announced his Europe tour, and that Paris was smack in the middle of my spring break here, I rushed online to buy tickets and patiently waited for April 22nd to arrive.

As I headed out to the venue, I had no clue what to expect. Since the place was called Le Café de la Danse, I half expected a small coffee shop, like the open mic night my friend Troy plays at. To my surprise, I walked in to a sizable theater, complete with a balcony and a bar. The space easily sat 300 people, and it was packed to the gills. I had arrived late, so I stood on the side for the opening act, then snagged a seat on floor in front of the first row, dead center during the intermission.


Besides having a fantastic seat to watch the concert from, I had a great seat to photograph and film from as well. There were several other indy-type photographers sneaking their way from spot to spot at the front of the stage, but I didn't want to annoy the audience, and I came to enjoy the music, so I just stayed put.

Jay scanning the balcony.
Overall, the concert was fantastic. Jay was as bright and funny live as I would have imagined him from his albums, and he had quite a few jokes and stunts up his sleeves.

Jay used SIRI's translator to tell some of his jokes. 
Thanking Café de la Danse for having him.
He also performed a lot of my favorites, including Housewife, which was his first song I ever heard. I'm glad my D7000 has such a fast switch to video mode, and I caught a few movies of him performing too. Warning: If you're made uncomfortable by foul language, homosexuality, or humor, keep scrolling...

A video of Jay Brannan performing his song Housewife at Café de la Danse in Paris, France for the Clap Your Hands Festival.

Another favorite of mine that he played was Blowing in the Wind. Not only a great message about our society, but just a simple and beautiful song.

Just at the beginning of Blowing in the Wind.
Jay Brannan performing Blowing in the Wind at Café de la Danse in Paris, France.

Overall, it was a fantastic concert, and a great way to spend my evening. I'm sad I didn't have cash on me to pick up the special edition of his new album they were selling, but I'm sure I'll pick the album up at some point, even if it's just on iTunes. He was also kind enough to do a meet and greet/photo session after the concert, and he signed the handbill for the festival for me. I'm glad to have finally made it to a concert of his, and hopefully I'll be able to see him again the next time he passes through Ohio.

Me and Jay at the photo opportunity after the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment