Hey! Did you know you can click on an image to see it full size? It's true! Give it a try!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Spring Break begins!


Well, this morning I started in France, flew with a Spanish airline, and landed on the German side of Switzerland. Needless to say, it’s been a linguistically confusing day. I’m writing this firmly planted on the inter-city train, which will take me to my connection on my way to Zermatt, to post when I arrive at my hostel. It meant taking one more transfer, but when she told me the train was at the platform and the next one wouldn’t be for an hour, I ran for it. Unfortunately, EVERYTHING is printed in German, including the entirety of my train ticket, so it took a brief moment of panic and double checking with the friendly train staff (who all speak English, thank God) but I safely got on my way.
This, of course, is only the culmination in a very, very long adventure to get here. I’ve been piecing this trip together incrementally over the last month, buying the tickets and making reservations as I could afford them. Of course, this means that instead of a nice, neatly made travel package of round trip flights and trains, I had two flights with the same company, but made with two different bookers, and therefore with different ways of checking in and printing tickets. It also meant that I had to wait to get my train tickets from Zürich to Zermatt until the last minute. This was a fact that was reminded to me yesterday morning, as I was getting the rest of my tickets in order.
I decided since I was going to be going to the office to print out the other tickets, I should just book and print my train tickets at the same time. So I went to the Swiss Rail site that I had been checking prices on for the last month, and put in my stops. When I put in my age, however, the price suddenly doubled. It turns out the 59.50 CHF (just under 65 USD) price they had been showing was a reduced faire for youth under 16. The full-fare each way was 119 CHF, double the price they were showing! There was no way I could afford the 200 EUR (260 USD) round trip anymore...
I remembered that there was a pass available, good for a round trip to and from an airport, for 130 CHF, so again I fired up the web browser, figuring I could print the pass out, just like an airline ticket. Imagine my surprise when they required a shipping address and 2-3 weeks for delivery! More than surprised, I was frustrated. This wasn’t the first time European trains had gotten the best of me (remember this?) and costing me a heck of a lot more money than they should have. I began frantically searching for different ways to get where I was going, but to no avail. There was nothing that was going to get me from Zürich to Zermatt and back for less than 200 EUR.
So how did I fix it, and why am I on the train now? I didn’t. I did the reckless, irresponsible thing and went anyway. I’ll find a way back to my flight in Zürich, but I needed to make this trip. Who knows with my knees and my luck when I’ll ever get the chance to ski in Switzerland again, let a lone the Matterhorn. I needed to go while my knees could take the mountain and my life could take the adventure.
And if worst comes to worst, I’ve always wanted to hitchhike, too...

No comments:

Post a Comment