Hey! Did you know you can click on an image to see it full size? It's true! Give it a try!

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Boats in Harbor

Not many of my friends in university know that I grew up spending my summers on my family's sailboat, a 23.5 ft Hunter with just enough room for the whole family to float on. Spending a week at a time with six other family members in less square footage than your average studio apartment was stressful at times, but it was also a great way to bring our family together, teach us to work through our problems, and get along. It also gave me a deep connection and sense of calm with the sights, sounds, and smells of water, harbors, and docks. It's no surprise, then, that I always find a kind of sanctuary on the banks of the Seine, admiring the houseboats and watching the barges go past.

One of the many boats turned into a living space on the Seine.
Flags flying from another sailboat-turned-houseboat.

The stern of another houseboat, bobbing in the river.
My father also served as a firefighter for my hometown, and the firehouse was a part of our lives growing up. Here in Paris they have a firehouse and police station that serve the river and port, and the firehouse is actually housed in a boat. It's a pretty interesting area, and I wish they offered tours of this unique firehouse.

The stern and nameplate of the firehouse.
The sign marking the area this firehouse serves, and that access is regulated.
A plaque to commemorate firefighters killed in fires.
«Paramedics» and «Firefighters»
The firefighter's crest, decked out with neon lights.
They had a small storage unit on land, but looking through the windows
showed it was mostly for trophies.
View of the entire fire station from above.
I have plenty of other nautical-themed photos, but I also want to get some pictures up from my escapades with Bethany, and some of the other projects I've been working on, so these were the only ones I could work through. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment